Monday, October 27, 2008

We're Tired Around Here

Sorry that it has been so long since I last posted, but I have some very good reasons for not being at the computer. Things have been pretty rough around here for the last week. Where to start... Last Tuesday evening I noticed that a lump was forming below my eye next to by nose. By the middle of the night I was awake in tears because it was so painful. I somehow made it through the might sleeping at times only 15 minutes at a time because I would wake up due to the pain. By Wednesday morning my lower eye lid was pretty swollen and red and throbbing with pain. We called the clinic and got the earliest appointment we could to see a doctor. The doctor looked at my eye, determined it was nothing wrong with my eyeball (I could have told her that) and referred me to an ophthalmologist.
I did convince the doctor that I needed something right away for the pain, and she gave me the choice between a shot and pills. I was in so much agony that I chose shot because it was faster. (This from the person who has successfully avoided her tetanus booster for over 4 years now.) Since I am pregnant there aren't a lot of pain medication options, and so I got a shot of morphine. I was excited about it, thinking morphine would surely get rid of the pain. However, my excitement lasted about 20 minutes when I found out that the morphine was not going to help much with the pain and was going to instead make me throw up about every half hour for the next 3+ hours.
Thankfully we were able to get an appointment to see the ophthalmologist yet that morning, but we had to drive into Rochester. God bless our neighbor Jill who graciously agreed to take care of Martin while we went to that appointment. (Martin did pretty well at the Kasson clinic, but there was no way he was going to be able to handle much more. ) Once I got to see the ophthalmologist, he again confirmed that there was nothing wrong with my eye ball, but that I had a plugged tear duct that had gotten infected. He prescribed some antibiotics but that was about all he could do.
So we came home and Dave took care of Martin while I slept on and off the rest of the day. I was still unable to keep any food or liquid down, and therefore pretty weak, so we decided to call for reinforcements. Again, I am so blessed that my mom is able to tell her bosses that she's not able to work so she can come to the aid of her children. Luckily, she wasn't needed at Eric and Denice's on Thursday (to help with their new baby!), so she agreed to come over so that Dave could go to work. It was a really good thing that mom was here, because by the time I woke up on Thursday morning my eye was essentially swollen shut, plus I was still barely able to keep anything down. (We didn't figure out until about 10 o'clock that night that it was the Tylenol that was making me throw up.) Starting Friday morning I was finally able to eat some food and I started feeling better little by little. I am feeling much better now, however, I still have the lump next to my eye which is sensitive to the touch. I have a followup appointment with the ophthalmologist on Wednesday so we will see what he thinks then.
I remember mentioning to mom when she was here how glad I was that at least what I was suffering through wasn't contagious. Unfortunately, I didn't take into account the time Dave spent in the clinic waiting room with people who were suffering with things that were contagious. Saturday Dave mentioned that he felt a cold coming on. (It crossed my mind that he might be making it up so he wouldn't have to take care of Martin anymore, but it turned out to be the real deal.) Saturday night I woke up to feel Dave's entire body shaking. He had a fever and was suffering some major chills. So I got Martin duty on Sunday as Dave rested and recovered.
Martin has been the least affected by all of this. He loved having Grandma over to play with him. He even got a new toy for being such a good boy. Although he has been suffering from a runny nose all week, it hasn't seemed to slow him down much.

No comments: