Friday, September 5, 2008

Some Random Things About Eating

First of all,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!!!!

Now, I have a few things that I have been wanting to write about, and they all sort of relate to eating and food. First of all, I have gotten so much pleasure out of sharing the garden with Martin. He understands that there are good things to eat in there. He is especially fond of the green beans. Whenever I step into the garden he comes over begging for beans, and he is never satisfied with just one. I am amazed at how many beans that kid can eat, not that I blame him, they are so good straight from the garden.

A couple of days ago I picked some cucumbers, and Martin was over "helping" me. I am not sure exactly how he did it, but he broke a good sized chunk off one of the cucumbers. He must have thought that it looked to be just his size, because he carried the thing around for the better part of the afternoon, just gnawing on it. The ironic thing is, that up until a couple of days ago, Martin didn't even like cucumbers. When we were at Neil's house last weekend, Marianne made herself a typical Finnish breakfast which is an open-faced sandwich with sliced cucumbers on top. Martin saw what she was eating, and decided he needed to have some. I am, of course, telling Marianne that he wouldn't eat it because he doesn't like cucumbers, but Martin proved me wrong. He went on to eat almost all of Kati's cucumbers too. So now he loves cucumbers, which is great.

This morning I poured myself a bowl of cereal, only to discover that it was the last little bit left in the box and it was barely enough to cover the bottom of the bowl. I decided to skip the cereal and have a granola bar, but since Martin is always begging to eat my cereal I thought I would give him the bowl to see what he would think of it. He liked it quite a bit. He has obviously been paying attention when I eat my cereal with a spoon, because he felt the need to do the same thing. However, he didn't have a spoon available to him, so he used the next best thing.

(Sorry that the pictures are a little fuzzy, someone got fingerprints all over the lens on the camera.)

No comments: