Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Olive Fun

Meal time has generally not been much fun lately. Martin has been getting fussier and fussier when it comes to what food he will eat, and our strategy of "no snacks or desert until you eat all your food" had not been working at all. So after Christmas we switched to the "no getting up from the table until your food is gone" strategy. It has made for a number of very long evenings with lots of crying and gagging, but I think it is finally starting to work. Amidst all the drama with Martin, Libby figured out that the louder she screams, the faster the food makes its way to her mouth. So, as I said, mealtime has not been been much fun lately. Perhaps that is why I got such a kick out of what I saw when I looked up during lunch this afternoon:

Reason to smile #1: a clean plate
Reason to smile #2: he's got olives on his fingers (The first time I have ever seen him do this)
Here's our conversation regarding the olives.
Me: You've got olives on your fingers. Did Uncle Eric teach you how to do that?
Martin: No...Olivia did.
Me (to myself): Same difference.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice.

Claire has been know to spend hours (yes, plural) at the dinner table. It's not that she doesn't like what she has on her plate. She just doesn't seem to sense any urgency to take those last two bites. Kids are weird.

-Eric

Anonymous said...

I am glad it was the daughter whose name sounds most like Olive that was able share this wealth of information with your son. She will be proud. They all love doing that. I hope mealtime gets better from here on out!
-Denice