Saturday, June 20, 2009

Play Dough

Yesterday I decided to make Martin some play dough. He had played with it at school a couple of times, but this was the first time he had any at home. I learned an important lesson about making homemade play dough and two year olds. Martin loves to watch me cook in the kitchen, and this was no exception; he sat on the counter and helped dump in the flour and salt. It didn't occur to me until after I caught him licking out the measuring cups that it would seem to a two year old that we were making food. I tried to tell him that is wasn't for eating, but he obviously didn't believe me. A few minutes late I caught him scraping out the bowl and eating it. So I got him all set up at his table. I put the ball of play dough down and went back into the kitchen to get some cookie cutters and when I came back, the ball of play dough had a bite mark in it. Finally, after a number of threats that if he ate any more I was going to take it away, he stopped eating it and played contently for about an hour.

No comments: