So Saturday morning Dave and I were sitting in the living room trying to decide what to do for the day. The weather was too beautiful to waste the day doing nothing indoors. About two hours later we were on the road to Whitewater state park to do some camping. We had never tent camped with kids before, so I was a little nervous, but I figured we could manage since it was just one night. We got to the park and were welcomed by a sign that said 'campground full'. (I had called earlier in the morning and was told there was still some availability.) Seeing that sign was the low point of the trip for us, and luckily it didn't last long. Upon inquiring we found out that there were still four campsites that were open. It turns out that they put the sign out since the people that had camped in those sites the previous night hadn't left yet. We spent a little time looking at the displays in the park office, and then went to set up camp. We had a great time. The kids were super well behaved. We spent some time 'swimming' at the beach. The water was actually quite cold, so we didn't actually spend that much time underwater. Martin was fascinated by some kids that were burying each other in the sand. Libby was fascinated by some geese that were hanging out nearby. She got a lot of practice saying her new word, "Quack!"
Martin was very excited to have a campfire and roast marshmallows. And by roast marshmallows I mean he wanted to watch Dave and I roast marshmallows while he ate them straight from the bag. Libby seemed to like her s'more though. It was after 10:00 by the time we got the kids in bed, and they both slept very well in the tent. Unfortunately, we woke up to some early morning rain showers. Martin was up and ready for the day at 5:30, but thankfully Libby was able to fall back asleep and she slept until after 8:00. While Dave and Libby slept, Martin and I went for a walk. On our walk we saw a deer, a tiny frog, and a bald eagle. After breakfast we went for a family hike and got to see the beautiful sights that Whitewater has to offer. I was so impressed with Martin's hiking. He was a natural and I was having a hard time keeping up with him even through the trail was very rocky and uneven. After we got back from the hike we had to pack up and go home, but we had a great time and hopefully it won't be another three years before we do it again.
He wanted me to take a picture of him sleeping in his bed.
Playing around in Chimney Rock
We made it to the top!
Hiking is hard work!
1 comment:
Is Dave sleeping in that last picture too!?!
Post a Comment